During his eight years as president, Obama sought to fix these things. So here’s a look at 10 of Obama’s greatest accomplishments:
1. The Affordable Care Act or Obamacare is considered to be his greatest domestic achievement. The goal was to provide affordable health insurance for millions without coverage.
2. He authorized the raid that killed Osama Bin Laden. He announced the terrorist leader’s death in a live speech to the country saying, “Last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action and authorized an operation to get Osama Bin Laden and bring him to justice.”
3. Obama and Raul Castro reversed over 60 years of tension between the U.S. and Cuba by restoring diplomatic ties.
4. He urged states in 2013 to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour. Since then 18 states and Washington, D.C. have responded.
5. He helped stimulate the auto industry after the financial crisis. Chrysler and GM have created 250,000 jobs since then.
6. President Obama was one of the key leaders that fought for the Paris Agreement. It created a comprehensive framework to reduce global climate change.
7. He commended and supported the Supreme Court ruling on same sex marriage saying, “In my second inaugural address, I said that if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well. It is gratifying to see that principle enshrined into law by this decision.”
8. He passed the Dodd-Frank Act, which holds Wall Street accountable in the event of another financial crisis.
9. Obama repealed ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’. By reversing the law, LGBT members of the armed forces no longer have to hide who they are.
10. Finally, he jumpstarted the economy during the worst recession since the Great Depression. In the wake of the global recession, Obama signed the Recovery Act, which cut taxes and saved millions of jobs.
What are your thoughts? Please comment below and share this post!