About 100 African migrants feared dead after boat sinks in Mediterranean Sea


migrants

Up to 100 migrants are feared dead after their rubber boat sank in the Mediterranean Sea on Thursday, the president of the Italian unit of aid group Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said.

27 people were rescued by a British navy ship, while six bodies were recovered about 20 miles off the Libyan coast.

The new disaster adds to a death toll which aid groups had put at 240 for the three days ending on Wednesday.

Migrants continue to make the perilous journey across the Mediterranean, seeking to reach Europe.

Most departures are launched in Libya, as people smugglers continue to take advantage of the political situation in the country.

desperate they are,” he said.

The number of migrants arriving in Italy by boat in November is already more than double that in the same month last year, according to the Interior Ministry, and the total for the full year is fast approaching 2014’s record of 170,000.


What are your thoughts? Please comment below and share this post!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *