Home Politics & Policy Exiled Congolese opposition figure says will vie for Presidency

Exiled Congolese opposition figure says will vie for Presidency

0

katumbi

Top Congolese opposition leader Moise Katumbi has declared that he will run for presidency in the election that will be held later this year.

In a statement released on Tuesday, Katumbi lauded the deal signed by political parties, requiring President Joseph Kabila to leave power after an election that will be held by the end of the year.

The Democratic Republic of Congo’s election was originally scheduled to be conducted in November 2016, but was delayed.






The country’s electoral commission said it could not conduct the polls due to logistical challenges.

Opposition parties refuted this, saying the delay was President Kabila’s way of clinging on to power.

Katumbi fled Congo last year as prosecutors announced their intent to try him on charges of hiring mercenaries, which he has denied.

Katumbi says he will fight for “the rise of the rule of law” as a presidential candidate.


What are your thoughts? Please comment below and share this post!

LEAVE YOUR COMMENT

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

العربية简体中文EnglishFrançaisItalianoLatinPortuguêsРусскийEspañolZulu