Nigerian troops have finally bombed Boko Haram’s notorious hideout in Sambisa Forest, the Hausa service of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) reports.The attack was launched as a part of actions to suppress the Boko Haram terrorists.
Maj-Gen Chris Olukolade, the director of defense information, told the journalists that the army had been attacking the forest and other hideouts of the terror group since Monday night.
The military used its war drones to reach some of the Boko Haram camps in the northeast but there was no information about casualties on either side. The army said that they are still dedicated to protecting the civilian population at whatever cost.
Olukolade said: “We are still committed in ensuring that we degrade their ability to continue their activities and eventually eliminate them.”
“The mission is on. There are no allowing terrorists anywhere. As many times as they come, it will only give us the opportunity to decimate them.”
It was learnt that troops of the Nigerian army, under instruction to raid Sambisa Forest in Borno State with a view to ending the years of Boko Haram insurgency, have started bombarding the borders of the forest near Adamawa state.
Sources close to the area have confirmed that aerial bombing started yesterday.
According to a soldier, who is serving with the 7th Division and confirmed the information, but asked not to be named, “special forces have been mobilised from different part of the country, especially the 81st Battalion, to Yola over the weekend and the operation starts today (Monday).”
“What people may have heard or seen today may not be unconnected with the operation. They have to do the bombardment of the forest starting from the fringes before the artillery troops would begin to advance. But be rest assured that before the end of this week the forest as well as many communities under the control of Boko Haram would be reclaimed”.
The soldier said he himself and most of his colleagues were happy with the United Nations decision to constitute an international joint task force to fight the Boko Haram insurgents.
On Saturday, Chadian forces recaptured the northeastern Nigerian town of Gamboru-Ngala after a fierce battle with Boko Haram that involved a ground and air campaign.
Gamboru-Ngala, about 145 kilometres east of Maiduguri, was captured by Boko Haram last year.
A soldier involved in the operation said Chadian forces were working under the African Union agreement to help Nigeria in its fight against Boko Haram.
The Borno state governor, Kashim Shettima, has recently disclosed that the over 200 school girls abducted from Chibok, Borno, by Boko Haram are still alive and being held in Sambisa Forest.
Additionally, Boko Haram survivors recently told how they had escaped from Sambisa forest, where the insurgents were located.