The Mall of Africa to witness the opening of one of the largest malls in South Africa. We look at interesting things we think you should know about the mall and how it compares to other staggering shopping centres on the continent.
Thousands of shoppers yesterday thronged Gauging province’s newest shopping centre, The Mall of Africa to witness the opening of one of the largest malls in South Africa.
Located between Johannesburg and Pretoria, in Waterfall, the 130,000 sqm Mall of Africa is the largest ever mall built in a single phase in South Africa and boast over 300-stores. We look at interesting things we think you should know about the mall and how it compares to other staggering shopping centres on the continent.
1. The 131,038sqm Mall of Africa is the largest ever mall built in a single phase in South Africa.
2. The mall is co-owned by two leading South African property companies. Johannesburg Stock Exchange-listed real estate capital growth fund Attacq Limited which holds 80 percent of the Mall of Africa, and Atterbury Property Developments, which owns 20 percent.
3. The mall’s architectural appearance is inspired by Africa’s geological features and landscapes.
4. Atterbury says it started the construction of the R5-billion Mall of Africa in October 2012, about three-and-a-half years ago.
5. More than 530 kilometres of post tension cable was used in its construction of the mall, as well as 18,500 tons of rebar (reinforcement steel) and 205,000 cubic metres of concrete.
6. The mall boasts more than 300 shops and 7 000 parking bays. Its glazed roof feature is said to be one of the largest of its kind in the world and and gives a spectacular lighting design.
7. According to estimates, around 15 million people will visit the destination mall annually.
8. According to the property owners, over 90 percent of available retail space has already been occupied.
9. There are equally impressive malls across Africa. Morocco Mall, is the largest shopping centre in Morocco, and one of the largest shopping centres in Africa, with a staggering 200 000m² of floor space. The mall boasts more than 350 shops.
10. Egypt’s Cairo Festival City Mall boasts 168,000m² of space, with over 300 shops, 95 restaurants and cafés, and the Mall of Arabia, located in Cairo, has about 267,000m² of gross leasable area.