President Edgar Lungu has hit the ground running appointing part of his Cabinet with MMD president Felix Mutati as nominated MP designated to the Ministry of Finance while Davies Chama is new Defence Minister.
It’s barely 24 hours after President Lungu was inaugurated. The Head of State has since appointed former Home Affairs minister Davies Mwila as Patriotic Front General Secretary taking over from Chama who is at Defence.
The part Cabinet will be sworn in tomorrow at 09:00 hours.
BELOW IS THE FULL STATEMENT
PRESIDENT LUNGU NAMES MINISTERS
LUSAKA, (Wednesday, September 14, 2016) His Excellency Mr. Edgar Chagwa Lungu President of the Republic of Zambia has appointed part of his Cabinet and named all the ten (10) Provincial Ministers.
President Lungu has also nominated 8 members of Parliament (MPs) and subsequently appointed as Cabinet and Provincial Ministers respectively.
The elected MPs have been appointed pursuant to Article 116 (1) and (2) of the Constitution of Zambia, whilst the nominated MPs have been appointed pursuant to Article 69.
The following are the appointments, which take immediate effect after the swearing-in ceremony at State House on Thursday, September 15, 2015:
(1) Hon. Davis Chama, (MP): MINISTER OF DEFENCE (Nominated);
(2) Hon. Felix Mutati, (MP): MINISTER OF FINANCE (Nominated);
(3) Hon. Steven Kampyongo(MP): MINISTER OF HOME AFFAIRS;
(4) Hon. Harry Kalaba (MP): MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS;
(5) Hon. Lucky Mulusa (MP): MINISTER OF NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
(6) Hon. Chitalu Chilufya, (MP) MINISTER OF HEALTH;
(7) Hon. Margaret Mwanakatwe (MP) MINISTER OF COMMERCE, TRADE
AND INDUSTRY and
(8) Hon. Joyce Nonde-Simukoko(MP): MINISTER OF LABOUR & SOCIAL
The elected MPs who have been appointed as Provincial Ministers under Article 117 (1) and Article 69 for those nominated are as follows:
(1) Hon. Sydney Mushanga, (MP) – CENTRAL PROVINCE;
(2) Hon. Bowman Lusambo, (MP)-COPPERBELT PROVINCE;
(3) Hon. Nixon Chilangwa, (MP) – LUAPULA PROVINCE;
(4) Hon. Malozo Sichone, (MP) – MUCHINGA PROVINCE;
(5) Hon. Brian Mundubile, (MP) – NORTHERN PROVINCE;
(6) Hon. Makebi Zulu, (MP) – EASTERN PROVINCE;
(7) Hon.Japhen Mwakalombe (MP)- LUSAKA PROVINCE;
(8) Hon. Richard Kapita (MP) – NORTH-WESTERN PROVINCE (Nominated);
(9) Hon. Edify Hamukale (MP) – SOUTHERN PROVINCE (Nominated) and
(10) Hon. Nathaniel Mubukwanu (MP) – WESTERN PROVINCE (Nominated).
The swearing in ceremony of the Cabinet Ministers and Provincial Ministers will take place tomorrow (Thursday, 15th September, 2016) at State House at 09:00 hours. The Cabinet Ministers and Provincial Ministers are expected to be seated by 08:00 hours.
Meanwhile, the President has appointed former Home Affairs Minister Mr Davies Mwila as Secretary General of the Patriotic Front taking over from Mr Davies Chama who has been reassigned as Defence Minister.
SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT (PRESS AND PUBLIC RELATIONS)